I had a great time without technology! My dad and I decided it would be nice to take a two-day trip out to grandfather mountain. We loaded up our packs and set out Friday afternoon with plans to come back on Sunday afternoon. I hadn't seen my old man in awhile, so I really enjoyed this period without technology. We set out on our treck of the Daniel Boone scout trail and man it was hard, while we were hiking up with our 40-pound packs people who appeared to be above 60 years old were running circles around us. We made it to the first stop which was flat rock. We had a lovely snack and proceeded towards the summit. We finally made it to the designated campsite 2.7 miles from the base of the mountain. We set up camp and started to make lunch which was tuna fish sandwiches with some calorie dense snack cakes. After that, it began to rain, and I was getting pretty bummed as I had forgotten my tarp at home, so I was wet and miserable. Once the rain started to let up, we headed towards the old plane crash at the top and scouted that out for awhile. After that, we went to Calloway peak which is the highest part of grandfather mountain, and the view was stunning. This was the one, and only time I used technology. My dad really really really wanted a picture at the top so who was I to deny him that. After we hiked around for a bit, we headed back to camp around 6. At camp, we cooked up some nice dinner and met some other hikers who were camping at a site about a half mile down from ours. After that, I laid in my shelter and this was the first time I was starting to truly miss technology. I didn't know what to do with myself it was dark and there were no fires allowed near the summit. So I laid there in silence listening to all the animals and sounds around me. I spotted an owl who would later swoop down and catch a mouse near where I was sleeping. This was the first time I had gone to sleep before 9:30 in about a year. We woke up and decided to go hike onto the other side of the mountain. My dad's phone died so we didn't get any other pics from the second day. Camping the second day was a lot more lounging around and just meeting other hikers. We headed back down to the car Sunday morning after a long grueling hike. I was so excited to check my phone! I never thought that I would have missed it so much. I powered it on, and my mom had sent me over 12 text messages asking if we were ok, oops, I should have told her before the 24 hours without technology. After explaining to her that it was all fine, I checked all my social media and emails. I don't think I could have gone much longer than this without the use of technology I would have gone crazy. What I believe in the modern world technology is needed. When I have a classroom, I will help my students become technologically savvy but not wholly reliant on devices.

The head of the profile trail
Me climbing up a ladder to get to the summit
The picture I took of my dad at the summit
Me at the summit
Another picture of the summit
A bag we strung up full of our food so bears wouldn't get into it
Me at the trail head
Me climbing through some rough terrain with my pack on
Made it to the viaduct view
My luxery sleeping quarters
Me at flatrock
No comments:
Post a Comment